1. Skills and experience are critical when an employer hires a person. About 86% of employers also look at "soft skills" to be one of the top reasons why they hire someone.
2. Many positions are filled by networking. Keep your network list up to date and make sure to ASK your former co-workers, family, and friends, if they know of any openings.
3. When doing your resume remember -
4. Approximately 90% of all hiring managers ask others in the department for their thoughts on hiring decisions. The point is, smile and be friendly with everyone you meet in the parking lot, the front desk, people you pass in the hall, sitting in the reception room, etc. Being courteous and respectful to everyone is the RIGHT way to be.
5. Hiring managers believe that about 1/3 of job candidates exagerate about their jobs, responsiblities and experience. Remember, honesty is always the best policy.
6. The gaming industry is a privileged industry and your employer WILL do a background investigation.
7. During your interviews, you must make a positive impression on the employers. They interview a lot of people and you do want to be remembered,
8. The top five communication qualities that interviewers look for in a candidate are: honesty, enthusiasm, likable personality, excellent listening skills and concise verbal skills, as you respond to their questions.
9. ALWAYS… Research the company and the job so you can discuss how your skills fit what the employer is seeking, if your skills do fit. You'll stand out from the other candidates, in a positive way.
10. Think of words that describe you and remember these words. You should be able to give the potential employer a specific description of how you describe yourself.
11. When you are asked questions about a specific position you currently hold, or have held, please state an overview of your duties and responsibilities and then talk about specific and measured accompolishments, for example:
12. Email a "Thank You" note to the potential employer. You can recap high points of the interview, as a reminder to the employer of who you are, and clarify anything you thought of…AFTER leaving the interview… and we all do.
13. BE HONEST!!!!
14. BE YOURSELF!!!
15. KEEP A POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!